Christian Becker wrote:
> Hi Kingsley,
> maybe I should have written the announcement more clearly - these are
> two completely separate applications that we simply announced
> together, i.e. the DBpedia User Script, which adds the icon, has
> nothing to do with the Faceted Browser.
> The Faceted Browser is here: http://dbpedia.neofonie.de/browse/

You really didn't make it clear in the initial announcement.

Much better, nice job!

Certainly a plus on the intuitive side relative to:
http://dbpedia.org/fct, but I would be interested in why you couldn't
put this face on top of the /fct endpoint  (REST or SOAP based service)
and then leverage the sophistication it offers. Examples:

1. optional sameAs and IFP based data expansion/explosion/smushing/meshing
2. anytime query feature - ability to retry within configurable response
time while horizontally partitioned aggregation works in background
3. ability let the user choose the ontology that drives the faceted
navigation rather than being confined to the DBpedia ontology
4. facet labels should be linkeddata URIs too i.e. enable faceted view
of the TBox realm

Kingsley

> Cheers,
>
> Christian
>
> On Sep 22, 2009, at 7:14 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>
>> Christian Becker wrote:
>>> Hi Kingsley,

>>> I think what makes the new Faceted Browser stand out is its use of
>>> the DBpedia ontology for facet selection, which makes it really
>>> intuitive to use. Plus, it's built for DBpedia and thus makes use of
>>> redirects, link counts etc. for better result sorting.
>> If I go to http://dbpedia.org/resource/Berlin directly, am I going to
>> see anything different from what I would see if I started from
>> Wikipedia, by clicking the icon?

>>> I think that's about all it does :)
>>
>> So I assume its a shortcut from Wikipedia HTML page  to DBpedia's
>>  HTML+RDFa page, in a nutshell?
>>
>> If the above is true, here lies my confusion: why hasn't the DBpedia
>> HTML page been described as a Faceted Browsing Interface until now?
>>
>> Kingsley
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Christian

>> --