Paul Houle wrote:
> Christian Becker wrote:
>>
>> I think what makes the new Faceted Browser stand out is its use of
>> the  DBpedia ontology for facet selection, which makes it really
>> intuitive  to use. Plus, it's built for DBpedia and thus makes use of
>> redirects,  link counts etc. for better result sorting.
>>
>    +1
>
>    That Faceted Browser is just awesome,  and Christian's comment
> points out why I like the DBpedia ontology:  it's a simple ontology
> that reflects the way people think about "things";  by avoiding the
> areas that are hard and sticking to concrete things,  it delivers a
> lot of value.  I can certainly think of specific things I'd like it to
> do differently,  but it's a very different situations from UMBEL or
> YAGO,  whose sheer mass makes them difficult to understand and use..
> (see Exhibit http://www.umbel.org/backbone.html).  Kingsley has tried
> to turn me on to YAGO,  but I want to punch the wall when I look at
> the .nt dumps and see categories like (slight exaggeration)
>
> "HungarianAmericanComedicLeftHandedComedicActorsWhoWereBornOnTuesdayNeverEatEggsForBreakfastWhoHaveWonDragRaces"

Paul,

Kingsley shouldn't push you into anything :-) You should use what works
best for your use case etc..

The option to use SUMO, OpenCyc, Yago, UMBEL etc.. should remain as options.

Christian:
Is there any effort to map DBpedia to any of the above, once done the
problem is solved as Virtuoso's Reasoner will handle the rest of the work.
Is this effort open source?

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen       Weblog: http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/~kidehen