On Apr 11, 2014, at 11:58 AM, Kingsley Idehen <kide...@openlinksw.com> wrote:

> On 4/11/14 2:12 PM, Patel-Schneider, Peter wrote:
>> This proposal illustrates one of the major problems with the DBpedia
>> ontology - triples check in but they never check out.
>
> Sorta, because of the misconception that SPARQL is steal Read-Only. I spend a
> good chunk of my day writing SPARQL 1.1 using INSERT, DELETE, and UPDATE (via
> INSERT and DELETE combos) to massage data, across many data spaces.

How can I use SPARQL 1.1 to change the DBpedia ontology?

>> Many of the problems with the DBpedia ontology require changes.
>
> Change is good. And it will work. Remember, DBpedia deploys Linked Data using
> a Quad Store, so the re-write rules and SPARQL queries used to perform the
> name->address indirection are extremely flexible. For instance, you can
> actually set the named graph URI scope for these SPARQL queries explicitly or
> via our NOT FROM NAMED GRAPH extension re., negation etc..
>
> You can have a list of Named Graphs or excluded Named Graphs when generating
> the description of a DBpedia Entity URI's referent.

I'm not sure how any of this can be used to effect changes in the DBpedia
ontology.

>> Other problems have to do with the expressivity of the ontology.
>
> Again, its just triples to which SPARQL 1.1 patterns can be applied. In
> short, this is the way to truly appreciate the power of SPARQL and Linked
> Data.

Again, I'm not sure what play SPARQL 1.1 has with respect to the expressive
power of the ontology.

>>   I don't think that changes here can be effected just by adding and
>> removing bits of the ontology.
>
> You can variants of the Ontology, an alternative Ontology, it doesn't matter,
> the Linked Data deployment will be unaffected.

Well, sure, none of this will affect most Linked Data uses, but that's not what
I'm interested in.  I'm interested in using the DBpedia ontology to organize
information.

I could, of course, simply use a different ontology, but my hope here is that
use of the DBpedia ontology in products will result in a better ontology, and
that that can be shared.

>> Other problems have to do with the philosophy of the ontology.
>
> The philosophy of the Ontology cannot change, that's a world view of the
> ontology creators. That doesn't stop another ontology existing as an
> alternative set of "context lenses" into the same data.

It appears that the current ontology does not match the stated philosophy of
the ontology.  One or the other should change, and probably both.

> I encourage you to make your changes, or make a new ontology, whichever path
> you take, the end product will be useful and a showcase for perspectives
> sometimes overlooked due to blurred and blurry perspectives :-)

I would love to make changes.  There actually is a modified version of the
ontology that is in use.

peter