Hi,

Interesting discussion.  One point that I do not think has been evaluated
here is the time, location and context components of a statement.  The
assignment of an identifier is simply a statement made about a concept that
instantiates it as an entity.  That statement is bound to a time, location
and context and the notions of persistence and uniqueness are
interpretations from that singular point of view.  In a modal reality, an
infinite set of identifiers exists for any given concept.  The imposition
of a uniqueness constraint on an identity is decidable only within a
well-known (and highly administered) domain.  CIDOC has a property called
"P48 has preferred identifier" with an owl:Restriction maxCardinality of
"1".
This seems to be a reasonable solution to the question of identifiers.
Many identifiers can exist (and usually do), but there can be only one
"preferred identifier" for a resource in a given ontology.

Cheers,
Christopher