May 15

INDIA:

Should the 'collective conscience' override the spirit of the Constitution? The principle of justice demands that law cannot rely on or be influenced by any delusionary sense or mood of the people

There are times when the actions of human beings are so grotesque and sordid that we want to tear ourselves away from our own skin and body. Moments when we wonder if we could by choice reject our natural membership of the human club. The Delhi gang rape and murder of December 2012 was one such event. This case ripped apart even the slightest hidden possibility of consideration towards the accused. As the details were unraveled, we had nowhere to hide and the lid was blown off what is the norm in our society. We treat women as objects of pleasure provided by the creator for men to feed on and discard as we please. Those little risque acts that occur everyday in office spaces and on public buses and we pass off as normal is where all this begins.

A few days ago, the Supreme Court awarded the death sentence to every one of the convicted attackers in the case. And I am sure, soon the debate around the death penalty will be revived. But irrespective of whether we are for or against the death sentence, as long it remains in our Constitution, judges will use it. There is, however, a phrase used by the honourable judges in their judgement that troubles me deeply - collective conscience.

This is not the 1st time this conceptual framework has been used in awarding the death sentence. But the truth of the matter is that in similar cases, 1 judge has confirmed the death penalty while another has been more lenient, commuting the sentence.M

Collective conscience makes its appearance through the individual conscience of the judge. So, when judges use this phrase, it is really to express what is essentially their own viewpoint, or they have taken it upon themselves to determine "collective consciousness". Both these positions are entirely self-generated.

The Delhi gang rape verdict implies that the "tsunami shock" to the collective conscience of our society caused by that horror demanded that the death sentence be pronounced. Can the courts allow any kind of public outcry, sense of conscience, sentiment or feeling to even remotely influence their decisions, especially when it is a case of the death sentence? This is even more relevant in the times that we live in, when television and social media bombard us, creating and determining opinion.

I am no legal expert and, therefore, speak as a legally challenged citizen. The very idea that a collective "sense", however powerful and influential, can play a role in anything legal needs to be pondered. It is in that direction that we need to ruminate, especially in cases where the judgement is entirely dependent on the interpretation by a solitary judge or solitary Bench. I am going to extend this phrase beyond its present interpretative legal framework for death sentencing and wonder whether this idea of collectiveness, cumulative opinion, practice, tradition, culture, etc has already been employed by judges while handing down disturbing judgements.

Prisoners of conscience

I began this piece with a few thoughts on rampant misogyny and patriarchy in our midst. But if we allow our collective sense to be part of anything judicial, we will find that many judges will become more than lenient with misogyny and male-chauvinism. Have we not heard judges, lawyers, public figures and politicians demand dress codes for women, accuse women of inviting rape and molestation because of the clothes they wear? Even recently, we heard women being questioned for being out late at night. And, of course, we as a society say nonchalantly that "men are just like that".

The bitter fact is that this mode of thinking and acting is a natural part of large section of the Indian society. A judge, as just an extension of society, accepts and agrees with a perceived collective conscience, then interprets this in whatever way they want. This is exactly why we have had judges pronounce verdicts that leave us agape, yet if we go by collective sensibility as a measure, we will have to accept their diktat. Beyond what is clearly stated in the law books, there are so many grey areas with regard to culture, rituals and traditional practices that can be entirely driven by majoritarian leanings. It was our Supreme Court that overturned the progressive and beautiful judgement by Justices Ajit Prakash Shah and S Muralidhar of the Delhi High Court that held that Section 377 of the Indian Penal Code violated Articles 14, 15 and 21 of the Constitution. It is that very same collective morality that resulted in the Supreme Court's wrong decision.

This can flow way beyond sexism. We live in times when the right to fearlessly speak, write or sing is constantly under attack. We have a government that uses greater good of the country, nationalism, national security and Indian-ness as devious strategies to overwhelm dissent under its weight. We are led by a political party that has a control over social media like no other outfit and sways public opinion through a propaganda machinery that is unmatched. Where are we headed if beyond the evidence and details of the cases, judges can get inspired by this manipulated collective "sense" to lay down more limitations on how we live our lives?

Take, for example, the compulsory "you better stand up for the national anthem when it is played in cinema theatres" order by the Supreme Court. There are many who find this entirely acceptable and the court itself might have sensed this collective agreement and a politically orchestrated national mood of jingoism. But the truth is, this order is authoritarian. A beautiful song that I love to hear and love to sing has become an instrument of compulsion. Will there be a day when the Supreme Court, after mulling over all the over-bearing and complex evidence, allows a Ram temple to be built in Ayodhya because the Hindus of this country (close to 80% of the population) wish for that to happen?

Our Constitution is based on the principle of justice for the most marginalised, disfranchised, oppressed, unknown, unseen and ignored. This spirit demands that law cannot rely on or be influenced by any delusionary sense or mood of the people.

We need in judges a liberal energy and the ability to be creative human beings. Creativity, incorrectly, is seen as lawlessness and hence many in the courts function "by the book" or "by their culture", choosing between the 2 as per their convenience. But creativity is the only way we can fight inertia, conservatism and orthodoxy. If we do agree that the basic tenets of our Constitution rejoice in humanity, then creativity is the only way forward. The creative breathes within systems, yet it detaches itself from the personal and the public, allowing for the ethical and humanitarian to pave the way. Our judges need this vitality.

(source: scroll.in)

SAUDI ARABIA:

Trump to visit Saudi Arabia as juveniles face execution

President Trump is preparing to visit Riyadh, as concerns grow for 3 Saudi juveniles who face imminent execution for attending protests.

The President will reportedly travel to Saudi Arabia on Friday 19 May 2017. IThe international human rights group Reprieve has written to the President urging him to secure the release of 3 juveniles in the Kingdom who are at risk of execution, potentially by beheading - and, in 1 case, crucifixion.

Ali al-Nimr, Dawood al-Marhoon, and Abdullah al-Zaher were arrested following pro-democracy protests in 2012. They were tortured into signing false 'confessions', which were used in a secretive counter-terrorism court to convict them, and sentence them to death.(http://www.ekklesia.co.uk/node/23481)

The Saudi authorities have recently executed several juveniles and alleged political protesters. 1 juvenile, Ali al-Ribh, was arrested in his school before being executed in January 2016, alongside 46 others.

Maya Foa, a Director at Reprieve, said: "As President Trump visits Saudi Arabia, the Kingdom is engaged in a shocking wave of repression that flies in the face of US values. Juveniles like Ali al-Nimr, Dawood al-Marhoon and Abdullah al-Zaher could be executed at any moment, simply for exercising freedom of speech. They could face a horrific execution, which could include beheading and 'crucifixion', just for attending protests. Other protesters have been tortured into signing false confessions, tried in secret, and then executed.

"President Trump must use his visit to send a clear message to Riyadh - he must demand the release of Ali, Dawood and Abdullah, and call on the Kingdom to halt executions of juveniles and protesters."

(source: ekklesia.co.uk)

AZERBAIJAN:

Azerbaijan's political party calls for return of death penalty in country

Discussing recent reports of treason by some Azerbaijani military servicemen and civilians at a meeting on Monday, the Board of the Whole Azerbaijan Popular Front Party (WAPFP) called for the return of the death penalty in the country.

"Considering Article 27 of the Constitution of the Republic of Azerbaijan allowing the application of death penalty for crimes against state, Article 2 on the making of provision in law for the death penalty in respect of acts committed in time of war or of imminent threat of war of Protocol 6 of the Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms - which Azerbaijan is a member of - and the fact that Azerbaijan is in a state of war, the Whole Azerbaijan Popular Front Party puts forward the initiative of the return of the death penalty," the party said in a statement on May 15, APA reported.

Taking into account that the Armenian-Russian joint military group is subordinate to the Supreme Commander of Armenia and Moscow hasn't so far denied the allegations that these troops can take part in combat operations in Nagorno-Karabakh, the WAPFP Board stated that the current situation shows the reality of Russia's being in a state of war with Azerbaijan, stressing the need to take a number of urgent measures.

"The party believes that Azerbaijani citizens shouldn't be sent to study at Russian military schools, calling for a serious investigation into those who received military education in Russia, as well as those who served in the ranks of the Russian Armed Forces and are currently servicemen of the Azerbaijani Armed Forces," said the statement.

The party Board called on the Azerbaijani Milli Majlis' (parliament) security and defense committee to immediately hold hearings on persons accused of treason.

"The parliament, representing the legislative power, must provide the Supreme Commander-in-Chief with detailed information. In addition, the persons responsible for this sphere should be seriously punished and public concern must be ended," the statement said.

(source: apa.az)

PHILIPPINES:

Death penalty to worsen police abuses -Atienza

The kidnapping of a businessman and his girlfriend in Pasay City by 4 police officers and the discovery of a tokhang-for-ransom dungeon run by drug enforcement agents in Manila should serve as a wakeup call for Congress to abandon the revival of the death penalty amid rambling law enforcement corruption, House senior deputy minority leader and Buhay Rep. Lito Atienza said on Sunday.

"Right now, we are already witness to the unbridled abuse of police powers by rotten officers. The problem is bound to get worse once we have the death penalty," Atienza warned.

He said crooked officers engaged in all sorts of criminal activities would have a heyday if capital punishment is reinstated.

"They will use the mere threat of death sentences to get whatever they want from their targets - from their victims," the former Manila mayor said.

"Violent crime is thriving not because of the absence of the death penalty, but because law enforcement has been overwhelmed by corruption," Atienza said.

He noted that many police officers are involved in all sorts of crime such as drug trafficking, extortion and protection rackets, kidnapping-for-ransom, robbery, murder-for-hire, illegal gambling and prostitution.

The lawmaker called for "comprehensive reforms in the entire criminal justice system, from law enforcement to corrections."

"The death penalty won't address rampant crime. On the contrary, it is guaranteed to spur more crime, particularly those perpetrated by hooligans in uniform," Atienza said.

The House of Representatives on March 7 approved on final reading the bill that would impose death sentences on drug-related offenses.

Atienza was among those who opposed the bill.

(source: The Manila Times)

*************************

'Running priest' Robert Reyes: PH at a crossroads under Duterte----Fr Robert Reyes leads 15 pilgrims in Lakbay Buhay (Walk for Life) and calls on Filipinos to take a stand against the death penalty

The country is at a crossroads under President Rodrigo Duterte as it faces controversial issues, said Fr Robert Reyes on Sunday, May 14, as he led the Lakbay Buhay (Walk for Life) event.

These issues include the proposed revival of the death penalty, which Duterte is pushing for.

"We are at a crossroads under the strongman Duterte. We're fighting [against] the death penalty because if this is reinstated... there will be free killing of Filipinos," said Reyes, popularly known as the "running priest."

The Philippines had abolished the death penalty through Republic Act 9346 in 2006 under the administration of former president Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo. But Duterte wants it reinstated, a move that the Commission on Human Rights has said would be a "blatant breach of international law."

"People compromise all the time depending on who are the bosses. A lot of very conscientious Catholics are now swallowing their pride and principles," Reyes said, referring to lawmakers who voted in favor of the death penalty at the House of Representatives.

The "running priest" led 15 pilgrims from 15 regions who arrived in Legazpi City on Sunday after 9 days of traveling from Cagayan de Oro for Lakbay Buhay. Their aim is to convince more Filipinos to speak out against the death penalty.

'Penchant for power'

Fr Rex Paul Arjona, social action director of the Diocese of Legazpi, also warned of threats to democracy.

"If there is not enough popular opinion and the people will just stay silent and do nothing, then [Duterte's] penchant for power will grow even more," he said.

"It's up to the people to stand up for what is right and also to remind our legislators to [take a stand] against death penalty. If we consider this normal already, [it] will lead to dictatorship," he also said.

The pilgrims are expected to arrive in Manila on May 19. They will deliver their "Junk Death Penalty! #LakbayBuhay" petition to the Senate on May 24.

Last April, Senate Minority Leader Franklin Drilon had said the death penalty bill is already "dead" in the Senate, with at least 13 senators expected to vote against it.

*********************

German bishops lobby to end Philippine killings----German bishops back the Catholic Bishops' Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) in fighting extrajudicial killings and opposing the death penalty

Heeding a call by their Filipino counterparts, German bishops lobbied with the German government to help end extrajudicial killings as well as other threats to human rights in the Philippines.

Archbishop Ludwig Schick, chairman of the Commission for International Church Affairs of the German Bishops' Conference, made this appeal in a letter to German Foreign Minister Sigmar Gabriel on Friday, May 12.

In his letter to Gabriel, Schick said the German Bishops' Conference "shows solidarity" with the Catholic Bishops' Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) in fighting extrajudicial killings and opposing the death penalty.

"As chairman of our conference's Commission for International Church Affairs, which is responsible for matters such as this, I kindly ask you, the Federal Minister for Foreign Affairs, to step up the critical dialogue with the government of the Philippines in the current, politically decisive phase and to do everything in your power to ensure that the human rights situation in the Philippines does not deteriorate," Schick told Gabriel.

Schick explained that CBCP president Lingayen-Dagupan Archbishop Socrates Villegas asked the German Bishops' Conference to support the CBCP's appeals to the Philippine government.

"These appeals voice opposition to the reintroduction of the death penalty and the lowering of the age of criminal responsibility and express active support for both the observance of human rights in the fight against drugs and an end to 'extrajudicial killings,'" the German bishop said in his letter, a copy of which is uploaded on the website of the Council of the Laity of the Philippines.

The enumerated issues remain contentious points between the CBCP and the administration of President Rodrigo Duterte, who has vowed to wage a bloody anti-drug campaign.

In this war on drugs, legitimate police operations have killed at least 2,717 suspected drug personalities while at least 3,603 deaths remain under investigation.

(source for both: rappler.com)