Sébastien Hinderer, le lun. 04 sept. 2023 22:02:48 +0200, a ecrit:
> Samuel Thibault (2023/09/04 21:28 +0200):
> > Sébastien Hinderer, le lun. 04 sept. 2023 21:16:47 +0200, a ecrit:
> > > Samuel Thibault (2023/09/04 21:01 +0200):
> > >
> > > Well I am unsure about what you mean by text field here because, for the
> > > little of GUI I am using (Firefox essentially), I have observed this
> > > behaviour or not being able to use braille window navigation and routing
> > > keys in a very constant way. Is any place in a web page really a
> > > text-filed?
> >
> > Yes. Or more precisely: they all expose a text interface, even if they
> > don't have a text role. Since apparently orca doesn't capture routing
> > key events, these events fall back to being exposed to the a2 driver,
> > which gives it to brltty, which uses a2 to read the widget content, and
> > perform the cursor routing.
>
> Are you sure Orca does not deal with routing keys?

I don't mean it's not implemented. I mean in the tests one can make,
Orca doesn't happen to be doing anything with them.  For *whatever*
reason that might lie between the actual braille device and Orca.

> Isn't this something that is working for years now?

I have no idea about that, as I don't actually use Orca.

> Unless there is a regression that happened in Orca and has somehow
> been masked?

Or in whatever is between the device and Orca.

> Even theprecedence mechanism is not that old, probably newer than a2
> and thus even if a2 is there for a long time it's not such a long time
> it cantake precedence over Orca when there are widgets they both know
> how to render, right?

Without actually taking the time to actually *inspect* what is
happening, I'll just stop making any more guesses, it's a loss of time
from all of us.

> > > Also, if the a2 screen driver "just" takes precedence, shouldn't things
> > > still work when it's not there?
> >
> > If Orca was capturing routing key events, yes. It appears that doesn't
> > happen.
>
> That's a real surprise to me.

Yes, but that's a fact: in my test it doesn't print any log upon routing
key press.

> > In the test I made with Roberto's case, it really was brltty's way of
> > pressing arrows to simulate routing, that Orca doesn't implement
> > anyway.
>
> In which context (applicaiton, widget) did you test?

Routing key in pluma.

> Intuitively, I'd have assumed that indeed orca is not simulating arrow
> key presses as brltty does but that it rather implements the routing by
> simulaitng moves of the mouse ppointer, and mouse clicks.
>
> In particular, I was under the impression that, in fFirefox, when I am
> "clicking" on a link with the cursor routing keys, it's really like if I
> was doing a mouse click.

Ok, but what I saw was definitely brltty's routing, for whatever reason
that might happen to be.

> > But again, which version of brltty are you using?
>
> 6.6-2

So when brltty-x11 is not installed, you do not have a second brltty
running, right?

Samuel