Hi John!

On 7/11/19 2:48 PM, John Blake wrote:
> I have a DS10L 617mhz and I can't figure out which version is the best to
> attempt to install on it.  I'd rather avoid things like this issue with
> systemd where they obviously haven't tried to actually test it on an alpha
> processor, but I have no problem with recompiling things as necessary
> (although I would like to avoid the Gentoo path of recompiling everything).

systemd works the same way on my Alpha XP-1000 as it works on my Intel boxes.

I assume you are talking about the non-functionality of a separate /usr
partition,
but this is something that isn't guaranteed to work well on Linux, no matter
whether
one uses systemd or any other type of init daemon.

> The other question I have is whether or not someone has fixed the issue with
> fdisk on the system, because I remember the last time I tried to install
> linux on the system in question, it wouldn't format the drive with a BSD
> partition as was necessary and after some discussion on some mailing list or
> another it was discovered that the required functionality had been phased out
> of fdisk a few years before, and nobody had noticed on either side that it
> made it impossible to follow the given directions on the FAQ/wiki.  It was
> still being automatically included with the distro and at the time I had to
> burn an ancient stable version just to put the partition table right in order
> to install.

debian-installer doesn't use fdisk (anymore), it uses partman. Did you try any
of
the recent installation images, see [1]. Please note these images are currently
shipped without proprietary firmware.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz