Hi,

I am running Debian Lenny (64-bit) on my new AMD X2 64-bit Dual Core processor.
I would like to compile a 32-bit Debian kernel for my Intel Mobile processor
machine. How can I do that? I usually compile Debian kernel 'the Debian way'
i.e. using make-kpkg.

-I have tried doing:
make ARCH=i386 xconfig (at least this takes care of producing a good kernel
config file for 32-bit systems)
fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd --arch 386 --append-to-version=-custom kernel_image
kernel_headers

But it produces 64-bit kernel.

-I have tried asking this question to one of the fourms but I did not get a
complete answers:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/debian-26/compile-32-bit-kernel-on-a-64-bit-machine-677212/#post3315002

-I have also googled a lot:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS270US270&q=Compile+a+linux+32-bit+kernel+on+a+64-bit+machine&btnG=Search

but no luck.

-I have also installed:
gcc-multilib libc6-i386 libc6-dev-i386 ia32-libs

There is got be a easy way to do this without going into installing/configuring
cross-compilers. I don't want to go back and install a 32-bit Debian OS on my
64-bit machine.

Some people have suggested to pass argument "-m32" but I am not sure where to
put that flag.

Any help will be appreciated.

Kushal Koolwal

I do blog at http://blogs.koolwal.net/