    > This makes me think that we may be able to publish an image with a
    > filesystem already appended to it, so that a blend could then create
    > such a thing including a preseed file that configures their preferred
    > selection of tasks.

    > Is that possible with your approach?
Hi Phil

yes, after calling mk-data-partition an empty filesystem of a certain
size (specifiy with -s) is available in the ISO.
But the blends should take the original Deian ISO (without this file
system) and they should call mk-data-partition and add their content,
because they know which size it needs.

    > BTW if one did that, would it still be possible to read the filesystem
    > if one were to burn it to a physical CD rather than write it to a USB
    > stick?
Nope. A quick test with qemu showed that booting the ISO as CD does
not show the additional file system.

    > (just wondering -- don't really see much need to do that these
    > days) -- I guess it should be, even if some loop mount with offset was
    > required to make it work.
Yes, I also guess some offset would help. But I also think that booting
a CD not that important.

    > Another advantage of having a pre-existing FS appended is that we could
    > have examples in place so that people could apply common tweaks by
    > simply un-commenting a line in the example preseed.cfg, but it introduces
    > the complication of resizing things (or deleting & recreating), if the
    > default size is too small for one's needs.
The scenario should not invole editing lines in a config file.
This additional file system could help blends or companies to add
their software to the Debian installer and maybe to easily add a
selection menu. A they will now which size is needed.

--
regards Thomas