Hello Thomas, lists,

First: I think it is a good idea to provide such mechanism out-of-the-box

A few months ago another approach was presented on the live-build project: for computers that are able to boot with EFI (secure or not), preparing a live USB-stick (based on the ISO file) is nearly trivial [1]. It is called FST (File System Transposition) [2].

It requires a FAT32 formatted USB stick on which the whole (including the hidden .disk folder) content of the ISO file is copied. There is no need for magic boot sectors, update-grub or similar. (On Windows the tool Rufus can do all this for you). Since the files are now on a regular FAT32 partition, they can be modified as required.

As far as I understood, the installer images already support this, and for the live images this is on the TODO list [3].

And yet another approach which was shown to me on the openSUSE conference 2022: with kiwi it is possible to build live images for Debian as well, and IIRC one of boot steps involves filling the remainder of the USB-stick with a writeable partition. I can look up further details, if you are interested.

With kind regards,
Roland Clobus

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/live-team/live-build/-/merge_requests/323
[2] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2022-06/msg00024.html