Rogério Brito dixit:

>> Personally, I find the following comment from the FreeBSD ZFS tuning
>> guide most scary:

Oh please. You don’t have to use it if you don’t want it. But this
doesn’t prevent it from being offered to these who do: “We sell rope
to hang yourself.”

(Someone here mentioned that this is inacceptable for a Linux filesy-
stem – excuse me, but where do you see Linux here?)

>> If a file system can cause the kernel to panic due to running out of
>> memory, something is very wrong!
>
>Indeed. Not only regarding the efficiency, but also the correctness and
>reliability of the programs.

True, but running out of memory is, in traditional Unix, an irrecove-
rable error condition, and if it occurs in the kernel, its only option
IS, in fact, to panic. (OOM killers, as Linux has had recently, can be
the worse way out, in fact.) While it should probably refuse to operate
or rollback or not offer read-write access, this is understandable.

Finally, while you don't have to USE it, you may want to have the abi-
lity, if not for reading data from a medium using it.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
Yay for having to rewrite other people's Bash scripts because bash
suddenly stopped supporting the bash extensions they make use of