Hi,

Quoting Stefano Rivera (2023-08-09 14:38:56)
> Personally, I have my sbuild configured to build a source package after the
> build, so that I can be sure that I don't regress my own packages' clean
> target. It would be nice if this was a default feature in sbuild, for most
> packages this is a very quick process.

I would only consider switching the default if at the same time, some checks
were done that made sure that the result is bit-by-bit identical to the
original.

The source package is the *input* to sbuild not its output. If sbuild builds
the source package it can happen that the resulting source package is not what
was given to sbuild to get built before.

So if the source package gets rebuilt and checked whether it is bit-by-bit
identical to what was given to sbuild before, then essentially we would've
enforced reproducible source packages. If I remember correctly, reproducible
source packages are something that the reproducible builds team discarded as a
concept many years ago.

So what should be the plan instead?

Thanks!

cheers, josch