On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 17:15:48 -0800, Russ Allbery <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>Timothy G Abbott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> Anders Kaseorg and I created a system of CDBS modules (which we've
>> tentatively packaged as the config-package-dev package) for creating
>> Debian configuration packages.  By configuration packages, we mean
>> packages that configure an existing Debian system by applying
>> dpkg-divert to configuration files.  Our configuration package system
>> makes the process of creating configuration packages efficient.
>
>It's generally accepted wisdom that dpkg-divert doesn't work properly with
>configuration files and isn't safe.

Which is actually a big pity since I have been looking for a method to
roll out _configuration_ to a lot of systems by means of the already
in-place, apt-based software distribution system.

I have once experimented with using ucf to force in new configuration,
but that has shown to have "interesting" quirks. A different method
would be to background a job which waits until no apt or dpkg jobs are
running and more and does the conffile change then, but that's a very
bad hack.

We need a documented way to do those things.

Greetings
Marc