Anders Kaseorg and I created a system of CDBS modules (which we've tentatively packaged as the config-package-dev package) for creating Debian configuration packages.

I'm designing a hosting service at Penn State which involves configuring a big pile of Debian machines (https://weblion.psu.edu/trac/weblion/wiki/WebLionHosting ). I was midway through inventing/accumulating something very similar when I discovered your framework, and I now plan to use it for almost all our config packages. Bravo!

Please count my vote toward polishing dpkg's divert behavior, adding config hooks, or whatever the best solution turns out to be for officially supporting config packages. This is too useful a feature to leave teetering on the edge of acceptance!

Erik Rose
Core Developer and General Incorrigible
The WebLion Group
Pennsylvania State University