Ben Finney dijo [Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 11:40:46PM +1000]:
> > > On the other hand, Section 10.4 says only "the script name should not
> > > include an extension".  So you can leave the extension for
> >
> > What is the intention of this rule anyway?
>
> To encourage command names (and hence command APIs, since the name is
> part of the API for the command) that do not encode implementation
> details, such as the programming language. This allows the program to be
> later re-implemented in a different language without the command name
> being misleading.

And because extensions truly mean nothing. Of course, I can
implement foo.py in Ruby as I am just prototyping but later decide to
reimplement it (using the same name, as many scripts already depend on
it) in Perl.

In a Unix system, extensions are usually appended garbage which adds
very, very little real value.

...Or possibly we could decide on renaming /bin/ls to /bin/ls.elf in
order to show what kind of file it is, and allowing for different
implementations to coexist?

--
Gunnar Wolf • gw...@gwolf.org • (+52-55)5623-0154 / 1451-2244