On 02/13/2014 04:48 AM, Fabian Greffrath wrote:

>> After ***forcing*** users to use libav instead of ffmpeg in debian
>> therefore making it to stuck with outdated fork istead of rapidly
>> developing original it's too late to talk about freedom..
>
> Gosh, we are not forcing you to use libav, we just considered it
> better at the time a decision had to be made.

I was not aware that the decision of whether to go with libav or with
FFmpeg had involved any consideration at all of which one was better,
only consideration of which one had someone available who was willing to
do the packaging work.

Specifically, it was my impression at the time that Reinhard Tartler had
been the primary person packaging FFmpeg for Debian, that he was part of
the group that chose to fork FFmpeg into libav, that he naturally chose
to switch to packaging the forked version because he was aligned with
that fork, and that no one else stepped up to be willing to package
FFmpeg in his place.

If the decision was in fact not made entirely by Reinhard, and there was
actual discussion internal to Debian which would confirm the fact, I'd
be interested to see it.

> If you care that much about ffmpeg, then get your lazy ass up and
> help getting it packaged instead of spamming on debian-devel.

While I agree that "spamming" debian-devel about it is likely not
helpful (at least not at this stage, and especially not in the terms
which were used), if you read the current RFP/ITP (hybrid) bug which was
linked elsewhere in this branch of the thread, it doesn't seem to be
that simple.

> As long as you don't actively contribute to Debian yourself and try
> to introduce changes to your liking, you will have to deal with other
> people's preferences. It's like that and that's the way it is...

Quite true, which is at least one-third of the reason I didn't speak up
against the switch to libav at the time when it happened. Reinhard
preferred it, and he was the one doing the work.

- --
   The Wanderer

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.