On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 12:47:36PM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Quoting Adrian Bunk (2014-02-14 09:06:34)

> >> If they're now diverging separate source bases, this isn't really
> >> different than the other cases where upstreams have forked and for
> >> various reasons we've found uses for both implementations.
> >
> > Please correct me if I'm wrong, but my reading of Jonas' suggestion is
> > that he wants someone to go through all the hassle of having both
> > libav and FFmpeg in testing at the same time, so that the Debian
> > Multimedia Maintainers "can sensibly compare them in the context of an
> > upcoming stable Debian release" and can then choose one of them.
>
> Previously you asked about *replacing* a codebase with another.  Now you
> talk about *co-existence* of codebases.

Wrong.

I was asking about discussing what options might make sense.

Then you demanded co-existence in testing as prerequisite for
a discussion.

Co-existence is what I called "insane" already in the RFP.

> Code do not enter Jessie directly - it goes through unstable.  That is a
> fact about general packaging procedures, not a suggestion of mine.
>
> I find it non-sensical to discuss *replacement* of a stable codebase
> with one not existing in any of Debians suites, and therefore recommend
> to bring the wanted codebase into Debian before we discuss further.
>
> I find it non-sensical to put the burden on those who find existing
> codebase sufficient and preferable to solve how to migrate to a
> different codebase or draft a sceme for making them co-exist. Therefore
> I recommend that those interested in introducing an alternate codebase -
> either as replacement or in co-existence - to do at least the initial
> work involved: package the replacement codebase and get it into e.g.
> experimental Debian.

I agree with that proposal:

Having FFmpeg packaged by the people who prefer it over libav and
upload the result to experimental sounds like a reasonable way forward.

>  - Jonas

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.