On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 11:06:08PM +0100, Matthias Klumpp wrote:

> > For the record, I really don't care about the init system per-say.  I am
> > more annoyed with the systemd insistence on logging to binary files than
> > anything.  Log files should be plain text.
> Rsyslog is srill installed by default (and I guess that won't change
> soon), so you now have even better textlogs.
> The binary logs are great for quick searching (just run systemctl
> status on a service) and provide some extra benefits for working with
> logs (I, for example, love the ability to group entries by priority),
> but that's not something someone is forced to work with.

Matthias,

I did not ask for evangelization about how wonderful binary logs are,
nor for a lesson on how to get the info out of systemd with the
systemctl command.

I am glad you like them and they work for you.  For me they add another
level of obfuscation, a speed bump and a potential point of failure.
All of which are unnecessary. Cat <logfile>, more <logfile>
do so for my text file logs.  Awk, emacs, vi, all work on them too.
My log management tools all expect my old plain text formatted logs.

If we can agree to disagree on this all is well.  If you feel it necessary
to "convert me" or help me "see the light" then, well, we're going to have
a problem ;-)

Pat