On Sat, Apr 21, 2018 at 9:19 PM, Scott Kitterman <deb...@kitterman.com> wrote:
> On April 21, 2018 9:05:27 PM UTC, Jeremy Bicha <jbi...@debian.org> wrote:
>>You and I seem to be clashing a bit often on the issue of when it is
>>appropriate to remove obsolete packages from Debian. It seems like
>>some of your resistance is a bit theoretical. It sounds to me like
>>you're saying don't remove any Python2 libraries because somebody
>>somewhere might find it inconvenient to need to port some third-party
>>app to Python3 before 2022. But I think if we had that philosophy, we
>>wouldn't ever remove anything until identified security concerns force
>>it out.
>
> Since we are supporting Python2 in the next release, there is no value in
> dumping python-* packages now.  Unlike many areas of the archive, Python
> packages are actively used by third-party code that isn't and won't be in
> Debian.
>
> I've personally invested time and political capital in external projects I've
> worked on to get people to use Debian packages as a stable base and not just
> download semi-random code from wherever.  Please don't make this harder.

+100 to this. Even at a previous life in a fast-moving startup, I
convinced the rest of engineering that "if you want to use it, and it
isn't in Debian, you get to package it first".

(aside, also had the advantage of convincing people to use more
commonly-used packages, rather than some random fork of a fork they
found one day…)

Cheers,
Luke Faraone