Hi,

> >     - faster build time (no need to test with Python 2, so less chances
> of
> >     build failure).
> >
> > build is done once, customer happiness is for years (buster lifetime).
>
> More work ...

more work for machines (build time). I never seen build failure when Py3
tests was fine and Py2 wasn't. Because OpenStack upstream officially
support Py2.

> >     - no chance to have any Python 2 packages installed, so we're sure
> we're
> >     on a full Python 3 stack (in my current setup, unfortunately some
> Python
> >     2 packages are still pulled). This may go on for another 3 years if
> we
> >     don't remove Python 2 now, with the added issue that it will pull
> >     *older* version of clients if selecting Python 2 and if we still have
> >     them in Buster (ie: case of OpenStack backports on top of Stable).
> >
> > so let's fix packages to not pull Py2 if it's not needed.
>
> More work...

we need to fix it in both cases. So it's same work.

>     - packaging and decrufting will take a long time, so we'd better start
> >     early. Especially if we want to do it the proper way, without
> breaking
> >     any reverse (build-)dependency that are outside of OpenStack.
> >
> > more than one release cycle? I'm sure we can do it during Bullseye. And
> > we will do it for non-OS Python packages too. Better is to do removing
> > in earlier phase of development cycle.
>
> And even more work...

huh? Doing now or doing later. Same work.

> There's btw a bunch of RC bugs in the BTS that I would love to get
> fixed. Anyone up for contributing that?

problem is that nobody want's to cooperate with you, that's all. All other
arguments are useless. I already explained to you many times what is
problem.

> This was part of a non-formal discussion with Ubuntu people, I'm not
> sure it would be right to say with who, but I'm sure you can guess. We
> can discuss with that person again and see what he says now, as maybe
> things have changed since that last conversation. So no, I don't have
> any formal announcement/links to support that it will happen in Ubuntu
> for Rocky.

so it's just your opinion.

Now, what needs to be accounted, is how many people use Py2 clients (and
> of course, by that, I mean the Python modules, not the cli). To answer
> that question, we have unfortunately no data except your own case.

we have data:
https://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=python-openstackclient

Not ideal I know. But better than nothing.

But is the whole set made of just one? Or more? Impossible to say...
> Which is why I asked you how much time it would take for fixing the
> situation in your own company, as it could be a good example. How many
> months do you need? 6 months? A year? It'd be super nice if you could
> explain your use case in more details, and tell what your code base is
> about. Though maybe you can't do it publicly? Or even, maybe you can't
> tell me? I would understand in both cases. But if you can explain, it
> would help understanding at least your use case, which may be similar to
> others.

we need Buster stable period for Py2->Py3 migration. We are going to be
ready for Py3-only for Bullseye. Thousands of servers, millions lines of
code.

--
Best regards
 Ondřej Nový

Email: n...@ondrej.org
PGP: 3D98 3C52 EB85 980C 46A5  6090 3573 1255 9D1E 064B