On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 10:35:10AM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Apr 2018, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > We (Debian) have decided to support Python 2.7 in buster, like it or
> > not.
> >
> > At that point it is not up to individual maintainers to sabotage
> > Python 2.7 support in buster by dropping Python 2 packages without a
> > valid technical reason.
> >
> > "I want Python 2 to die" is not a valid technical reason here.
>
> Some package maintainers do not wish to spend the time and effort
> necessary to support python 2 indefinitely in their packages. That's a
> reasonable personal assessment, and I applaud package maintainers for
> saying so early, clearly, and publicly.
>
> The question is what (if anything) do any of us want to do to provide
> resources to provide that support.
>
> We do not have unlimited maintainer time; triaging is sad, but it
> produces better outcomes.

This discussion is not about triaging, it is about maintainers dropping
Python 2 modules for no technical reason at all.

We already had several cases of a changelog for a new Debian revision
that looked approximately:
  * move vcs to salsa
  * Standards-Version: 4.1.3
  * remove python2 package

Soon afterwards there was an RC bug because this removed package still
had a two digit number of reverse dependencies.

This is the tip of the iceberg I mentioned.

Triaging would imply a valid technical reason like problems with the
Python 2 module, not blind dropping out of a desire to kill Python 2.

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed