On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 12:27 PM Scott Kitterman <deb...@kitterman.com> wrote:

> Please don't install one by default.  I suspect it will cause more trouble
> for end users than it's worth.  Making sure our default install is severely
> limited in what ports it listens to is likely more broadly useful and less
> risky.

I agree, we should mitigate risks by keeping open ports as restricted
as possible by default. But it could be useful for higher level
tasksel tasks or meta packages to pull in a firewall configuration
utility (for instance, firewalld) for certain use cases, i.e. it could
be useful for a "standard" server installation with graphic desktop,
for which we could expect most users choosing this method would like
to have advanced firewalling as an enterprise feature to have
out-of-box.

Cheers,
Aron

P.S. I know there is no such a thing called "standard" installation in
Debian, but only referring the name for the sense of RHEL's default
installation entries.