Am Mittwoch, den 08.01.2020, 15:36 +0100 schrieb Philipp Kern:
> On 2020-01-08 14:27, Daniel Leidert wrote:
> > And what s the benefit of this change: Getting rid of cron?
> >
> > The very simple thing is: CRON=1 enables a cron job. It does *not* say:
> > "Please
> > enable something different as long as it achieves the same." There is
> > nothing
> > wrong with the cron job and it works perfectly fine. So I don't want to
> > have it
> > replaced by something less transparent.
> >
> > Why do you resist the appropriate behavior of raising a question
> > whether the
> > user wants you to replace cron by systemd?
>
> I don't think yelling in this way is helpful.

Stop it. Right here and right now. I didn't yell at anybody. I raised some
serious questions I believe are justified by your comments.

> "Run by cron" used to be
> the way of saying that it's a periodic job - as the only means of
> accomplishing this and it turns out it was a misnomer already given that
> it's run from cron.daily, which might be anacron on some systems and
> cron on others.

That doesn't mean that having another alternative is a justification to assume
the user is ok having the default solution replaced (silently). We usually ask
first. And even if we change something, we document it (NEWS.Debian) and also
document how to restore the default behavior (README.Debian).

But you seem to resist this. And I'm not ok with that ... especially because it
affects my systems.

> I think there needs to be a sensible choice for *periodic jobs* that we
> should document as the default unless there is a reason to use something
> else. It does not need to be cron, though.

Then go the appropriate way. Get a resolution if the Debian project is ok with
the new default (here it clearly seems your goal is to replace cron by
systemd!). If there is such a resolution: Change the default for new
installations and leave existing installations a choice.

But don't ceate facts and leave scorched earth behind.

Regards, Daniel