> Which is it? Do your friends want the newest bleeding edge stuff, or
> do they want stability? They can't have both at the same time! Oh, I
> see, the want the newest, but they want us to call it "stable".
>
> Sigh.
>
> Why is is this basic distinction so hard to explain to people? Testing
> and reliability take time. During that time, new features are going to
> show up in various parts of the system. Along with those new features
> come compatibility and reliability problems. You can either have the new
> features, or you can have a tested, stable, reliable *system*. *YOU*
> *CAN'T* *HAVE* *BOTH*.

 I wholy agree with you. But I think that, in this context, you are wrong.
Your arguments would have meaning if a stable Debian is being released each
5 or 6 months, and that's not the case. Debian slink is completely obsolete,
we are shipping a glibc 2.0 distribution, with an ancient kernel, no support
for current video cards.
 We are all using potato, but we are shipping slink, keep that in mind.