Raul Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 09:53:03PM -0500, Walter Landry wrote:
> > The GPL puts restrictions on whole works.
>
> True.
>
> > "Requires to run" is a useful heuristic to determine what a whole
> > work is.
>
> Kaffe does not require Eclipse to run.  So by this heuristic,
> Eclipse is not a part of Kaffe.

You missed the part about Eclipse requiring Kaffe to run.

> > If you have a better heuristic, I am open to discussion.
>
> "Requires to build".

I have serious doubts that only the header files would become part of
the complete work.

> "Incorporates content from".

That would be an ordinary derived work.  As I mentioned, the GPL goes
beyond derived works.

> "Designed as part of".

So if a GPL'd program can use GNU TLS or OpenSSL, we don't have to
actually ship GNU TLS?  Are you actually proposing that?

I think that if we can agree on what a useful criteria is, then the
rest of the discussion melts away.

Regards,
Walter Landry
[EMAIL PROTECTED]