Francesco Poli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Please try and avoid non-costructive criticism.
> It's true that debian-legal often experiences what can be seen as
> "noise" or "interesting discussions", depending on your point of view,
> mood, and temperature... but calling it "masturbation" is a bit rude,
> isn't it?

Absolutely.

>> It's not -legal's job to define
>> the standards by which Debian determines freedom - it's legal's job to
>> determine whether a specific license meets those.
>
> And this is what was done last summer with the QPL: it was determined
> that that specific license does *not* meet Debian freedom standards.

No. No, it wasn't. The QPL was primarily determined to be non-free by a
specific interpretation of the word "fee" (there's all sorts of other
little issues, but basically nobody outside -legal cares about them).
Nothing within Debian's social contract makes it clear that that's the
intended interpretation, and as a result it's really up to the wider
project to work out what that means.

>> That's unfortunate. However, holding the discussion on -legal
>> guarantees that we won't have the input of many developers.
>
> They may provide their input whenever they want to, but we cannot force
> them to do so.
> If they don't, maybe they do not care enough or they don't feel
> competent enough: so they delegate to debian-legal partecipants...
>
> What's wrong with that?

The fact that it's not debian-legal's job in the first place? Seriously,
if you can find references that provide constitutional delegation of
these decisions to -legal, I'll be somewhat more happy about it all.
Otherwise, -legal's opinions count no more than any other random set of
people. They're generally useful, but they don't determine policy in
themselves.

--
Matthew Garrett | [EMAIL PROTECTED]