On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, Raul Miller wrote:

>On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 07:16:08PM -0600, John Galt wrote:
>> No, it requires releasability under the SAME license. Clause 5
>> requires modifications to be released with NO restrictions at all,
>> and all licenses necessarily restrict rights, including the OpenPBS
>> license. Therefore modifications cannot be released under the OpenPBS
>> license.
>
>I agree that the OpenPBS license requires modifications to be public
>domain.
>
>However, I don't see how this conflicts with DFSG.  DFSG says:
>
><quote>
>  3. Derived Works
>
>     The license must allow modifications and derived works, and must allow
>     them to be distributed under the same terms as the license of the
>     original software.
></quote>
>
>And, public domain works can be distributed under the OpenPBS license.

You're the second one to say that the second half of DFSG 3 is irrelevant
in this case.  This solves one of my problems.  The second is more thorny.
It seems that the PBS license has the choice of law clause for Virginia, a
UCTIA state.  In the past, this was enough to make a license questionable.
Is it enough reason to make it non-free on it's own?  Remember, the choice
of law thing actually makes a weird sort of sense, as it IS a click-wrap
license, and UCTIA gives a click-wrap the force of law.

--
The early worm gets the bird.

Who is John Galt?  [EMAIL PROTECTED], that's who!