On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 11:55:30PM +0200, Francesco Poli wrote:
> But is the original unpurged work DFSG-free?

I'm not sure that's the right question.

Remember, we interpret the DFSG based on the spirit of the rules, rather
than the letter.

I think the right question is: how should we handle this work?

And that question has various possible answers:

If the work has been released in Stable, just leave it alone.  We can
fix security bugs, and generally do with it all that we need to do.

If it's not been frozen yet, add semantics to the program so we can change
its name, then change the name of the thing and add a Replaces: header,
and a sentence or two to the package description.  Alternatively, if the
interpretation of the trademark holder is so broad that we wouldn't want
to change the semantics of the program that far, consider the trademark
to be a required legal notice and just live with it.

If we're in the midst of a freeze, it's up to the release manager.

These choices further the goals of the social contract, and abide by
the spirit of the DFSG.

--
Raul