On Thu,  7 Dec 2006 11:36:18 +0000 (GMT) MJ Ray wrote:

> Francesco Poli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > SIL OPEN FONT LICENSE Version 1.1-review2 - 15 November 2006
> > [...]
[...]
> > > 3) No Modified Version of the Font Software may use the Reserved
> > > Font Name(s) unless [...]
> > I believe that forbidding an unlimited and arbitrary list of
> > Reserved Font Names goes beyond and is *not* DFSG-free.
>
> I see what you mean, but if each RFN comes from one font, then all can
> be forbidden while still following DFSG, thanks to the stack of
> copyright licences required.

IIUC, you are basically saying that everything is fine *as long as*
each Reserved Font Name has been used for one previous version of the
Font Software.

For instance:

 * "MyFont" is released by Mark Fontdesigner under this license
 * Chuck Fontmodifier takes "MyFont" and creates a modified version
   - Chuck releases his modified font under this license, with the name
     "ChangedFont"
 * Eugene Fontenhancer further modifies "ChangedFont" and releases the
   result under this same license
   - Eugene cannot use the name "ChangedFont", because it's the name of
     the work he's modifying
   - neither can Eugene use the name "MyFont", because it's the name of
     the work "ChangedFont" is based on
   - Eugene calls his font "EnhancedFont"
 * now there are three Reserved Font Names: "MyFont", "ChangedFont", and
   "EnhancedFont"

Is this what you mean?
Is this kind of /cumulative/ name-change requirement allowed by DFSG#4?

> I think we just need to watch out for
> people trying to exploit this rename clause to grab unlimited RFNs.

I strongly dislike check-on-a-case-by-case-basis licenses: could the
clause be narrowed down, so that we are sure it can only be used in
DFSG-free manners?

> > [...]
> > > 5) The Font Software, modified or unmodified, in part or in whole,
> > > must be distributed entirely under this license, and may not be
> > > distributed under any other license.
> >
> > Does this interfere with dual licensing?
>
> I don't think so.  The copyright holder is not bound by OFL, so could
> offer it under dual licences.  If those are public licences, we can
> pass them both on.

But, when we pass them both on, are we complying with the OFL, that
explicitly states that the "Font Software [...] may not be distributed
under any other license"?
Or are we in violation?

--
But it is also tradition that times *must* and always
do change, my friend.   -- from _Coming to America_