On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 10:02:31 +0200 Josselin Mouette wrote:

[...]
> I think the authors have completely misunderstood the purpose of
> section 7. This section doesn't allow to add further restrictions, but
> to add further *permissions*. Like, for example, permitting to link
> the program with a library that requires preservation of reasonable
> legal notices.

I don't agree: it is my understanding that GPLv3 section 7 does indeed
allow adding (a limited set of) restrictions.
Section 7 is a permission to add some restrictions.
That is the main reason I dislike it: it weakens copyleft.

The permission to add permissions has always been present in the GPL (at
least from version 2): you can always add permissions to material you
hold copyright for.

My question was whether the restriction added by PySoy authors is
compatible with GPLv3 section 7.

If it is not, then GPLv3 section 7 states that the recipient is
authorized to remove it (even though some people have argued that this
is not possible, no matter what the GPLv3 text says...):

|   All other non-permissive additional terms are considered "further
| restrictions" within the meaning of section 10.  If the Program as you
| received it, or any part of it, contains a notice stating that it is
| governed by this License along with a term that is a further
| restriction, you may remove that term.

If instead the restriction is compatible with GPLv3 section 7, well,
then we have a concrete example of a non-free work released under the
GNU GPL v3 (no surprise, I was expecting such a case sooner or later),
since I do not think that such a restriction should be considered as a
DFSG-free one...

--
 http://frx.netsons.org/doc/nanodocs/testing_workstation_install.html
 Need to read a Debian testing installation walk-through?