Le Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 11:57:28PM +0900, Charles Plessy a écrit :

> It appeared in various discussions about either DEP5 or the NEW queue that
> licenses vary in their requirement for reproducing the authors copyrights in
> binary distributions. In order to start clarifying the situation, I propose to
> list for the most common licenses when they require to reproduce copyright
> statements. The final goal is to help packagers to keep the debian/copyright
> file
> simple while respecting license terms.
>
> I propose to make this list on the Debian wiki, and created a draft page:
> http://wiki.debian.org/CopyrightNotices

Dear all,

let's start with the Internet Software Consortium license:

        Copyright © 2004-2009 by Internet Systems Consortium, Inc. ("ISC")
        Copyright © 1995-2003 by Internet Software Consortium

        Permission to use, copy, modify, and/or distribute this software for any
        purpose with or without fee is hereby granted, provided that the above
        copyright notice and this permission notice appear in all copies.

        THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND ISC DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WITH
REGARD
        TO THIS SOFTWARE INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND
        FITNESS. IN NO EVENT SHALL ISC BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, DIRECT,
INDIRECT, OR
        CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF
USE,
        DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER
TORTIOUS
        ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF
THIS
        SOFTWARE.

(from ‘https://www.isc.org/software/license’)

Does this concern binary distribution: is a compiled version a “copy”? If yes,
it seems that the copyright notice should be reproduced in our binary packages,
typically in debian/copyright. But let's remember that in the case of works
distributed under the terms of the GPL, we consider that the binary packages
are only one piece of a bigger cake, that includes the source package. In that
case, the ISC license would also be satisfied if debian/copyright would not
contain the copyright notice.

What is your opinion?

Have a nice day,

--