Le Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 07:33:38PM +0100, Noel David Torres Taño a écrit :
> I thought I sent this before, but it seems that not.

> from: "HOTLINE-DU-CDS Non-Nominatif (UDS)" <cds-quest...@unistra.fr>
> subject: Re: About Catalogues License
> message-id: <31d-5035ef80-1b-53516180@99327283>
>
> Dear Noel Torres,
> here is the CDS policy for the scientific data we distribute:
>
> Catalogues available at CDS contain scientific data distributed
> for free, for a scientific usage.
> Companies including such data in their commercial products cannot
> charge their clients for the data. Furthermore, users must be informed
> of the origin of the data: this means an explicit reference to the service
> provided by the CDS and also to the original author(s) of each catalogue.

Hi Noel,

sorry that I did not find it by myself.

The following parts of their answer is ambiguous.

  "data distributed for free, for a scientific usage"

Does it mean that other usages, for instance commercial, artistic or military,
are disallowed if downloading the data for free ?

  "Companies including such data in their commercial products cannot charge
their
  clients for the data."

Does it mean that for-profit use is disallowed, or does it mean that, while one
can charge for the software packages that redistributes and displays the data,
the presence of the data can not be used as a justification in the price ?

For that question in particular, the SIL open font license is an interesting
example.  It is Free according to Debian, but note the following clauses:

  1) Neither the Font Software nor any of its individual components,
  in Original or Modified Versions, may be sold by itself.

  2) Original or Modified Versions of the Font Software may be bundled,
  redistributed and/or sold with any software, provided that each copy
  contains the above copyright notice and this license.

  http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?item_id=OFL_web

It means that one can sell a software that contains the font, but one can not
sell an isolated file that contains just the font.  Perhaps this is what is
meant for the data in the CDS above ?

All in all, I think that you unfortunately need to ask for one more
clarification.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy