Ben Finney <ben+deb...@benfinney.id.au> writes:

> =====
>                      TORQUE v2.5+ Software License v1.1
>
> Copyright (c) 2010-2011 Adaptive Computing Enterprises, Inc. All rights
> reserved.
>
> Use this license to use or redistribute the TORQUE software v2.5+ and later
> versions.

Unproblematic text explaining the document purpose.

> Customers using TORQUE that also are licensed users of Moab branded software
> from
> Adaptive Computing Inc. can get TORQUE support from Adaptive Computing via:
>
>      Email: torque-supp...@adaptivecomputing.com.
>
>      Phone: (801) 717-3700
>
>      Web: www.adaptivecomputing.com www.clusterresources.com

This block doesn't belong in a license document, and it would be better removed.

> This license covers use of the TORQUE v2.5 software (the "Software") at your
> site or
> location, and, for certain users, redistribution of the Software to other
> sites and
> locations.  Later versions of TORQUE are also covered by this license.

This is a grant of license, which is distinct from the terms itself; but
no distinction is made in this document. Better to remove this also, in
my opinion.

Then the actual terms begin; it would be best to set this off clearly:

> Use and redistribution of TORQUE v2.5 in source and binary forms, with or
> without
> modification, are permitted provided that all of the following conditions are
> met.
>
> 1.  Any Redistribution of source code must retain the above copyright notice
> and the
>     acknowledgment contained in paragraph 5, this list of conditions and the
> disclaimer
>     contained in paragraph 5.
>
> 2.  Any Redistribution in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
> notice and the
>     acknowledgment contained in paragraph 4, this list of conditions and the
> disclaimer
>     contained in paragraph 5 in the documentation and/or other materials
> provided with
>     the distribution.
>
> 3.  Redistributions in any form must be accompanied by information on how to
> obtain
>     complete source code for TORQUE and any modifications and/or additions to
>     TORQUE. The source code must either be included in the distribution or be
> available
>     for no more than the cost of distribution plus a nominal fee, and all
> modifications and
>     additions to the Software must be freely redistributable by any party
> (including
>     Licensor) without restriction.
>
> 4.  All advertising materials mentioning features or use of the Software must
> display the
>     following acknowledgment:
>
>       "TORQUE is a modification of OpenPBS which was developed by NASA Ames
>        Research Center, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, and Veridian
>        Information Solutions, Inc. Visit www.clusterresources.com/products/
> for more
>        information about TORQUE and to download TORQUE.
>
>        For information about Moab branded products and so receive support
> from Adaptive
>        Computing for TORQUE, see www.adaptivecomputing.com.”
>
> 5. DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY
>
>      THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
>      ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO,
>      THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A
>      PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT ARE EXPRESSLY
>      DISCLAIMED.
>
>      IN NO EVENT SHALL ADAPTIVE COMPUTING ENTERPRISES, INC.
>      CORPORATION, ITS AFFILIATED COMPANIES, OR THE U.S. GOVERNMENT OR
>      ANY OF ITS AGENCIES BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT OR INDIRECT,
>      INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES
>      (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS
>      OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
>      HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN
>      CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR
>      OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE,
>      EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

This is a BSD-like license with the “obnoxious advertising clause”,
which is quite problematic. It imposes an unreasonable restriction on
someone distributing a work containing a large number of components.

Better to use a license without this clause, such as Expat license terms
<URL:http://www.jclark.com/xml/copying.txt> which is widely known to be
free without complications like this.

> This license will be governed by the laws of Utah, without reference
> to its choice of law rules.

At this point it appears the license terms end, and again it would be
best to mark this in the document clearly.

My opinion: The license is yet another custom-made license (contributing
to undesirable license proliferation), derived from a license text long
abandoned by the free software community for its problematic
restrictions.

Best would be to replace this with an unmodified, clearly-free license
text like the Expat <URL:http://www.jclark.com/xml/copying.txt> license
terms.

--
 \           “Prediction is very difficult, especially of the future.” |
  `\                                                       —Niels Bohr |