Le Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 12:06:53PM +0100, Thibaut Varène a écrit :

> The kanjidic documentation states (emphasis is mine):
>
> > The following people have granted permission for material for which they
> > hold copyright to be included in the files, _and distributed under the
> > above conditions_, while retaining their copyright over that material:
> >
> > Jack HALPERN: The SKIP codes in the KANJIDIC file.
>
> As I understand this, kanjidic and the SKIP codes it embeds are freely
> redistributable under the licensing terms of kanjidic.
>
> That other licensing provisions for the SKIP codes may be made in other use
> cases (as detailed in Appendix F of the same document) seems quite irrelevant
> to me: you are questioning the DFSG-compliance of kanjidic (and by extension
> the package that includes it: tagainijisho) and as far as I can see, the
> whole content of the file `tagainijisho-[version
> number]/3rdparty/kanjidic2.xml', including the SKIP codes, are covered by the
> license stated at the top of the file: CC-BY-SA, which is DFSG-compliant.

Hi Thibaut,

looking at the link you sent, it seems that the “above conditions” are
“KANJIDIC can be freely used provided satisfactory acknowledgement is made, and
a number of other conditions are met”, which is quite vague.  In addition, just
below the part that you cited (“Jack HALPERN: The SKIP codes in the KANJIDIC
file.”), there is “With regard to the SKIP codes, Mr Halpern draws your
attention to the statement he has prepared on the matter, which is included at
Appendix F.”

To me, it appears that Appendix F, which has non-Free clauses, applies.

Have you tried to contact the authors of KANJIDIC ?

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan