On Wed, April 2, 2014 05:01, Paul Tagliamonte wrote:
> These certs were removed from Debian a month ago. Perhaps you'd be
> interested in the recent thread on devel:
>
>   https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2014/03/msg00375.html

Thank you, but I think the maintainer knows very well that he removed the
cert from his own package. That thread on d-devel, as we're used from that
list, is not very productive and has wandered off into generic talk about
encryption.

There is currently discussion on whether these certificates could not be
provided in another way for those that want them, without including them
in the default set that every Debian system gets. A precondition to such a
solution to be possible is that the licensing question is answered.

As I've said in the bug log, I'm fully in agreement with Steve's argument
that there is no copyright possible on any root certificate.

However, I do have some sympathy to Michael's argument that if CAcert went
to the trouble to explicitly make a license statement that forbids
distributions to carry the root CA, maybe we should respect their wish,
even if not legally obliged to do so.

Cheers,
Thijs