> You're advocating a position, then, that the PHP license can require
> recipients to make false, and even nonsensical, claims, and that this is
> not a problem to be addressed by improving the license terms.

I think that this is similar to the BSD licenses. Look at
/usr/share/common-licenses/BSD. It specifically states:

Neither the name of the University nor the names of its contributors may
be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software
without specific prior written permission.

>From this, it would seem that it is possible to use this license even if
you are not the University. Why else would Debian keep this in
/usr/share/common-licenses?

> Is that the position of the PHP Group: that a requirement for the
> recipient to make false claims is “absolutely no problem” of the
> license?

I don't think that the position of the PHP Group is that requiring the
recipient to make false claims is "absolutely no problem"; the license
works for *them*; it just doesn't work for anyone else who chooses to
use their license

>> When applied to software that is not available from *.php.net, the
>> license terms may not be sensible, but they still can be followed.
>
> Is the fact they can't sensibly be followed not a problem to be
> addressed by improving the license terms?

It could be addressed by improving the licensing terms, but it isn't
necessary, and the PHP Group seems very unwilling to do so.