Le Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 02:38:58PM +0000, Thorsten Glaser a écrit :

> That, too. But AIUI that licence also forbids us from shipping
> a modified version of PHP without rebranding (like Firefox(tm)).

I think that we are ridiculing ourselves by ignoring the arguments that have
been given to us by the PHP developers in the past.

See, we are getting famous in Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PHP_License#Debian_packaging_controversy

  Debian maintainers have had a long-standing discussion (since at least 2005)
  about the validity of the PHP license.[4] Expressed concerns include that the
  license "contains statements about the software it covers that are specific to
  distributing PHP itself", which, for other software than PHP itself therefore
  would be "false statements".

I think that the situation is different:

 - It has been proposed by a developer to remove PHP modules licensed under the
   PHP license, in application of a policy that had been neglected for years.
   This proposition was eventually represented by release-critical bugs.

 - For some PHP modules, the bugs have been closed, and there was no further
   reaction.

 - In the meantime the usual vocal people sending the majority of emails on our
   mailing lists are giving the impression that removing PHP modules is a
position
   of Debian as a whole, while it is definitely not.

This drama can be ended by closing the remaining bugs and going back to work.
This has been done for packages that some people care most, like php-memcached,
and could be done for other packages.  When things have cooled down, it can
be proposed to correct the REJECT-FAQ according to current practice of accepting
PHP-licensed code.

Back to the question of rebranding, the PHP developers have already explained
that because PHP is a three-letter word, they are not in a position to
protect their name with a trademark.   Therefore, they do it with a license.

We can not take Mate and distribute it as “Gnome Plus”.  We can not take a fork
of PHP and call it “BetterPhp”.  People can not take a Debian CD, add non-free
software, and sell it as “Debian Enhanced”.  We and other protect our names,
and PHP does it too.  I do not see a problem.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan