Dariusz Dwornikowski wrote:
> I encountered this license while packaging (as in this file [1]). My
> questions is, what type of license is it, and is it DFSG compatible ?
>
> Please CC me, I am not on the list.
>
> [1]
> https://bitbucket.org/vinay.sajip/dictconfig/raw/53b3c32dea4694cd3fb2f14b3159d66d3da10bc0/src/dictconfig.py

This looks close enough to MIT/Expat-style licensing that most of it
seems to meet the DFSG.

The only thing I'm not sure about is whether it's OK for other people
also called "Vinay Sajip" to release changes under their own name.
Anyone know?  If not, then it fails DFSG.

Do you know whether the author would consider switching to MIT/Expat or
zlib wording?  They're linked from http://www.debian.org/legal/licenses/

# Copyright 2009-2010 by Vinay Sajip. All Rights Reserved.
#
# Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
# documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby granted,
# provided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that
# both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear in
# supporting documentation, and that the name of Vinay Sajip
# not be used in advertising or publicity pertaining to distribution
# of the software without specific, written prior permission.
# VINAY SAJIP DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE,
INCLUDING
# ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS. IN NO EVENT SHALL
# VINAY SAJIP BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL
DAMAGES OR
# ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS,
WHETHER
# IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT
# OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.

CC'd as requested.

--
MJ Ray (slef), member of www.software.coop, a for-more-than-profit co-op