* Cem F. Karan:

>> In the past, I think the main problem with U.S. government works was that
>> some agencies merely repeated the legal situation regarding
>> copyright in government works, and it was not very clear if those agencies
>> intended to pursue copyright claims abroad (perhaps even
>> requiring compliance with proprietary licenses).  Your proposal would
>> completely address that issue, I think.
>
> Can you point me to where this was discussed?  There are some people within
> the USG that need to read that conversation ASAP.

I think the most recent discussion may have been this:

  <https://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2016/03/msg00010.html>

The agency in question went beyond the usual, though, explicitly
addressing the problem.

This discussion resurfaces periodically:

  <https://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2009/01/msg00067.html>
  <https://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2005/04/msg00164.html>

I can't find more discussions about specific pieces of software and
their licensing terms, though.  I can try harder if it's really
important to move beyond abstract concerns.