Specifically? I'm trying to produce a CP/M clone distribution which is
DSFG-enough to ship with emulators (and also to run on real hardware should
people wish). The original Digital Research source has a nasty clause in it
which, AFAICT accidentally, means it can't be redistributed, so I'm finding
open source alternatives and bundling them together. What this is involving
is trawling through the archives trying to find free or public domain
pieces and piecing them together.

Example: the command shell I'm using (the CCP in CP/M terminology) is an
enhanced command shell alternative called ZCPR. The first version of this,
ZCPR1, which contains no copyright notice, and which was released in 1982
to the SIG/M public domain distribution group. I found the release
announcement (
https://github.com/davidgiven/cpmish/blob/master/third_party/zcpr1/Announcement.pdf)
which contains a passing reference to it being released into the public
domain. Is this good enough?

I was lucky there in that I found the announcement; there's plenty of
source which has nothing at all, not even a copyright notice. For example,
everything I've seen printed in Dr. Dobbs' Journal...

--
┌─── http://www.cowlark.com ───
│ "I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my