Hi Steffen,

On Tue, 27 Jul 2021 at 23:05, Steffen Möller <steffen_moel...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi Nilesh,
>
> Thank you tons for thinking along.
>
> It took me a bit but. Too long. The answer is that git does not lose the
> sensation of a file being a git lfs reference even when you download a
> tar.gz. For some reason I had expected that all genomes were truly gzipped
> fasta files, but no, they were still references. Maybe I had inadvertently
> transformed a few to what they point to during a first build and that is
> why I then did not find the issue a bit earlier.
>
> The import of pristine-tar has worked after removing .gitattributes, but
> then the git lfs references were still in the tarball and the upstream
> branch. pristine-tar could be pushed, but then the other branches would
> trigger git lfs errors when pushed to salsa. Only after having all fasta.gz
> lfs files removed, the upload went smoothly and you all now find this on
> https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/broad-catch

Is that really intended?
We would not be able to run tests in this case since you essentially ended
up repacking it , since several tests seem to be using that data.

BTW, I tried to do a little solution for the lfs thingy, for it to not
store "references" and committed it to my personal repository[1]
Can you have a look and let me know if it looks sensible?

Also, you might as well want to have a look at pristine-lfs[2] which could
be interesting to use. I've attempted to use this too, please consider
taking a look
I admit, I'm not very used to the lfs workflow, so something could be wrong
for sure.

Not sure why the CI fails though -- probably it does not work fine with
lfs, but just thinking of it as a ground for more ideas here :)
I can clone it locally in a different space and re-produce the tarball, and
I fixed a few tests (not all) -- please consider trying once and let me know

[1]: https://salsa.debian.org/nilesh/broad-catch
[2]: https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/pristine-lfs

Nilesh