Control: tags -1 -moreinfo

Hello Boyuan,

thanks for your review.

Am Mittwoch, dem 06.03.2024 um 23:22 -0500 schrieb Boyuan Yang:
> Control: tags -1 +moreinfo
>
> Hi,

[...]
> Having #MISSING# in .symbols file is a red flag. It is a strong indication
> that
> the library is breaking API explicitly.
>
> Please check again and work with upstream to persue bumping SONAME together
> with API/ABI breakage. This is especially important given large number
> of reverse dependencies.

Here are the answer from upstream:

[quote]
> This is a strong indication that the library explicitly breaks the API.

These symbols have the prefix 'libunistring_', which effectively makes
them private symbols. They are *not* part of the API or ABI, as you can see
by searching the header files for these symbols.

> Please can you check whether the SONAME needs to be changed.

The library's major version number does *not* need to be bumped.
I considered this question when making this commit:
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=libunistring.git;a=commitdiff;h=2a6b2a826c408eaeca3038156d1f512a64b560bd

Bruno
[/quote]

> Thanks,
> Boyuan Yang

CU
Jörg

--
New:
GPG Fingerprint: 63E0 075F C8D4 3ABB 35AB  30EE 09F8 9F3C 8CA1 D25D

Jörg Frings-Fürst
D-54470 Lieser

git:      https://git.jff.email/cgit/

Skype:    jff-skype@jff.email
Jami:     joergfringsfuerst
Telegram: @joergfringsfuerst
Matrix:   @joergff:matrix.snct-gmbh.de

My wish list:
 - Please send me a picture from the nature at your home.