Hi,

在 2024-03-07星期四的 10:11 +0100,Jörg Frings-Fürst写道:
> Control: tags -1 -moreinfo
>

> Hello Boyuan,
>

> thanks for your review.
>

> Am Mittwoch, dem 06.03.2024 um 23:22 -0500 schrieb Boyuan Yang:
> > Control: tags -1 +moreinfo
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> [...]
> >
> > Having #MISSING# in .symbols file is a red flag. It is a strong indication
> > that
> > the library is breaking API explicitly.
> >
> > Please check again and work with upstream to persue bumping SONAME together
> > with API/ABI breakage. This is especially important given large number
> > of reverse dependencies.
> >

> Here are the answer from upstream:
>
> [quote]
> > This is a strong indication that the library explicitly breaks the API.
>
> These symbols have the prefix 'libunistring_', which effectively makes
> them private symbols. They are *not* part of the API or ABI, as you can see
> by searching the header files for these symbols.

For Debian-specific maintenance: please remove #MISSING# placeholders for
disappeared private symbols from the debian/*.symbols file,
as they are not needed anyway.

For upstream development (optional): it might be better if private symbols'
visibility could be made into hidden so that unnecessary symbols are not
exposed.

> > Please can you check whether the SONAME needs to be changed.
>
> The library's major version number does *not* need to be bumped.
> I considered this question when making this commit:
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=libunistring.git;a=commitdiff;h=2a6b2a826c408eaeca3038156d1f512a64b560bd
>
> Bruno
> [/quote]

Thanks,