Guillem Jover <guil...@debian.org> writes:

> But, the builder in this context is the program driving debian/rules and
> not any external wrappers, in this case dpkg-buildpackage, which has
> honored the field since it got implemented in 1.19.0. We drafted it as
> "the builder" to allow for other potential drivers, because we are still
> considering debian/rules the canonical entry point (even though I still
> think we should ideally stop supporting calling it directly, and instead
> should make dpkg-buildpackage the only supported interface).

Oh, my apologies, I missed that detail.

>> […] It looks like that's not the case, so I think this was just a
>> bog-standard FTBFS, only a bit surprising because it was triggered by
>> honoring Rules-Requires-Root, which I'm not sure the buildds do (yet).

> The buildds have "honored" R³ since dpkg-buildpackage does.

I had remembered (probably from some distant past) buildds always running
builds as root, and just confused myself and probably other people.  Sorry
about that!

I'm therefore confused why postfix didn't FTBFS on the buildds by failing
to remove that read-only file.  Clearly there must be some difference in
the build environment for Daniel and Vincent or postfix would have always
refused to build, but I'm not sure what that is.

(In any case, I'm fairly convinced this isn't a Policy bug, although it
sounds like the wording for R³ in Policy could be improved somewhat.)

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)              <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>