Sean Whitton <spwhit...@spwhitton.name> writes:

> I said that the requirement is only advisory based on how there is no
> requirement on packages expressed must/should/etc. in the description of
> Rules-Requires-Root: no in Policy.  The target of the advice would be
> authors and maintainers of package builders.

> However, I missed the use of "required" in the text, which means there
> is in fact a Policy requirement not to fail to build as non-root when
> this field value is declared, I think?

> Sorry for causing some confusion here.

Oh, no problem at all, and that makes sense.

FWIW, I think Policy requirements may be the wrong way of thinking about
this problem.  If I try to compile a Perl module with GCC in debian/rules,
I would be hard-pressed to name a specific Policy requirement that
violates, but the package wouldn't build and that's a FTBFS bug.  This
feels more like that: the package metadata says to build it as non-root,
which means that if it doesn't build as non-root, that's a FTBFS bug.

Anyway, it all seems to be sorted out now, and I suspect the root problem
was some benign misunderstanding of the root cause Vincent's bug report.

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)              <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>