Hi Bill , the point your friend is trying to make is absolutely
meaningless. There is no operating system in today's time which does not
require it's installation image to be directly downloaded from cloud and
then flashed onto usb drive for installation . If you are talking about
Microsoft windows media creation tool which it uses for windows 10 and 11
and can be used to upgrade windows 8.1 to higher version please note that
If you are talking about winds reset option in windows 10 where microsoft
give you option to reset your system using windows 10 image freshly
downloaded from cloud . what basically that image does it download that iso
filed in temporary location ,extracts it and then windows reset menu after
downloading triggers it with relevant setting which you choose and that's
how your windows 10 get reinstalled ,during reset some services of your
windows go into shutdown mode in order to be replaced. USB media
installation is not an old style, microsoft still recommends installing
windows fresh via USB installation media. Games you are able to play on
other systems, depending upon if they are portable and their files do not
require verifying installation from the registry or need to have dependency
installed in order to play.  That's what your friend did not tell you when
he was telling you about how games are plug and play.. Operating systems on
the other end are wholly different thing, they are the base platform
through which your hardware runs and the very fac that you are able to
write this mail to here. It's not necessary to use CD for installing and
operating system you can use rufus to create bootable image and that file
when you trigger install via installation menu gets copied to your hard
drive, so that it remains on your system throughout your journey.and you
can boot it and use it daily for your work without loosing data or having
to plug in your os over and over again in laptop port. USB are storage
limited os files require direct communication with something called
hardware in order to use your network adapter and all, portable games do
not require direct hardware interaction. All they use is your something
called operating system's libraries to run. SO i don't know wether your
friend does not have adequate knowledge or he is trying to make fun of you
in front of public but the question you asked baseless . Linux like debian
give you more option to customise your os  by allowing you to select
packages you want to install , it downloads those packages from internet
and installs it on your computer hard drive. If you are asking about
installing debain from cloud here are 2 thing that can happen. 1st worst
case scenerio is that your winows os files gets replaced if debians
installs it files from cloud while your windows is running and your windows
10 goes corrupt or become unstable and stiops working why? because The
libraries which windows required for windows to run has been replaced or
modified by linux install manager and is missing. boom , you just destroyed
your own prefectly working installation of windows. 2nd scenrio is that you
your are installing another os on top of your windows and all of a sudden
that os loses communication to internet as that other os replaced it's
network drivers while was also downloading os files also loses connection
to internet , congratulations your both os are corrupt and not functional
anymore and that is why we use USB installation media be it installing
alongside or installing over other operating system

Regards
a windows 10 and Debain user