Hi.  Thanks for giving me an excuse for some axe-grinding :-).

David Bremner writes ("Re: [RFC] Extending project standards to services linked
through Vcs-*"):
> I have a project currently hosted off salsa. I'm willing to have
> read-only mirror, but I'm not willing to put much effort in to it.

Knowing you, I think you probably do your uploads with dgit.  I hope
you find it convenient, but of course there is another advantage:
Your git history is available via "dgit clone".

Unlike the Vcs-Git tree, mirrors on non-free services, etc., the
package contents seen by a user of "dgit clone" is precisely equal to
what is actually in the archive, and therefore actually useable by
someone who isn't a Debian expert.

I wrote more about this in detail in 2021
    https://diziet.dreamwidth.org/9556.html

> Maybe someone(TM) should take on the task of mirroring, in some way that
> makes it clear this is not a place to send MRs. In a small way, that
> could be a technical (partial) solution to a social problem. It could
> even be automated based on Vcs-Git urls.

Automatically importing from the archive doesn't get you git history,
of course.  But that's what dgit does.  Currently it does that
client-side: if the maintainer didn't use dgit to upload, it must
import the .dsc, and therefore the user doesn't get the git history.

I'm hoping we can increase the availability of reliable and useable
git histories, by increasing dgit adoption, and, eventually, deploying
tag2upload.

Ian.

--
Ian Jackson <ijack...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>   These opinions are my own.

Pronouns: they/he.  If I emailed you from @fyvzl.net or @evade.org.uk,
that is a private address which bypasses my fierce spamfilter.