On 11/21/22 18:30, Sandro Tosi wrote:
On Mon, Nov 21, 2022 at 12:03 PM Louis-Philippe VĂ©ronneau
<po...@debian.org> wrote:

On 2022-11-21 02 h 08, Julian Gilbey wrote:
I'm just flagging this up here, with a question about how we should
proceed.  Certainly we are not ready to make Python 3.11 the default
Python version!!

This is a concern I share and I think I've been pretty vocal about it.

I feel the state of python packages for Bookworm with 3.10 was pretty
good and it seemed reasonable to prioritize stability for our next
stable release :)

It's very frustrating to work on packaging python libraries and apps for
a whole release cycle, just to see all that work put in the bin at the
last minute because upstream doesn't support 3.11...

this, 100 times

I very much don't agree. I think it's going pretty well, and the number of breakage isn't high. We just need a little bit of effort to make it in good enough shape.

I've been told the current 3.11 transition was a test, and if it was
clear too many important things were broken and couldn't be fixed, we
would roll back and release using 3.10.

Though we're not there yet, as a point were we can say it's a lost battle.

why are we running a "test" this close to the release?

Let me fix the above sentence for you:
s/release/freeze/

Because Python 3.11 brings many nice feature, one of them being that it's 15 to 50% faster, very often 20% faster. Also, releasing the last Debian with an already obsolete interpreter version doesn't feel good.

*who* are we
running this test for? who made this decision (i figure RT gave the go
ahead, but still)? is there any searchable source for this claim?

This was discussed during Debconf in Prizren. You are always free to:
- join us during debconf
- join on IRC if you can't go to Debconf
- read the video and voice your concerns on the list

So the decision was made collectively. We also discussed this on IRC, and in this very list, if I'm not mistaking (sorry, I will not search for it).

Currently, Python 3.11 is only an "available interpreter version", not the default. So it's kind of easy to revert (we would "only" need to remove the 3.11 interpreter, and rebuild the packages that produce 3.11 so files). It would be a lot harder to revert having 3.11 as default, Mathias said/wrote. So we're good...

I very much thank Stefano for the many fixes he already uploaded.

Now, out of *many* of my packages, only a very few broke. Complicated packages like Eventlet for example, just worked. Others had upstream patches I applied. And I am in the opinion that we should go ahead and make 3.11 the default.

I'd be happy to have the opinion of the rest of the team, especially Doko and Stefano.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)