On Fri, 28 Jul 2023 at 11:08:38 +0000, c.bu...@posteo.jp wrote:
> Am 28.07.2023 11:53 schrieb Carsten Schoenert:
> > I don't see any workaround and there is non needed. The bug issue is
> > about the not usable upstream test suite that would need to be called
> > through d/rules.
>
> Maybe this is again about my expectations and wrong assumptions.
>
> So it is possible to have packages in the debian repo that don't run any
> tests? I wasn't expecting this.
> So Back In Time is in Debian for many years and never run tests on the
> Debian build system? I'm shocked.

Some packages can sensibly run tests at build-time, and for those packages,
we usually try to do so. Some packages can't sensibly run tests at
build-time (for instance if they need access to a GPU) so we don't; and
for some packages we run tests at build-time, but we need to skip or ignore
specific tests, or even ignore failure entirely, because the tests are
known to be unreliable on some or all architectures.

The only requirements on testing are:

* the package's uploader has done whatever amount of automated or manual
  testing they feel is appropriate;
* if automated tests *are* run, then they must succeed (or the failures
  must be explicitly ignored, if they're not believed to reflect a serious
  problem)
* if the package runs build-time tests, they must meet the requirements in
  Policy (not writing to the user's home directory, not accessing the
  internet, etc.)

If the uploader of backintime has tested it manually, either by running
the test suite themselves or in real-world use of the updated package, then
that's fine for an upload.

    smcv