Le mardi 16 juin 2009 à 12:50 +0200, Andreas Tille a écrit :
> On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 09:49:27AM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> > UDD has some parts that are Postgres specific, in particular it uses
> > the Postgres extension mechanism to internalize Debian version
> > comparison so that it can be exploited in queries. In the beginning,
> > the internalization was done only as an extension function, it might
> > be that now there is even a custom data type where you can use "<" and
> > such, but I'm not sure about that (redirect to Lucas).
>
> I can confirm that there is a new data type debversion:

SNIP

> which is probably hard to reimplement in MySQL.  There was a thread
> here on this list about this data type and its implementation.

Thanks for these comments.

That's what I had also indentified as PostGres dependant when we
discussed the subject on the ossmole-discuss list.

> > You just need to pay attention (and maybe do some tests) that,
> > migrating away from Postgres, you might loose the ability to reuse the
> > same queries which you can currently use with udd.d.o.
>
> IMHO it is not a good idea to try to port UDD to a different
> database engine.

I think it depends the kind of analysis people might want to do for
their research in mining the Debian metadata that would be archived in
FLOSSMole, maybe these package versions wouldn't be needed, so strings
without the full arithmetics of versions would be enough ?

In any case, the first idea is to archive data so that it's there for
history, I suppose, then the users will complain eventually, and we
shall see ;)

Thanks again.

Best regards,
--